Web conferencing has been an indispensable solution for modern businesses, especially as the associated technology has progressed. Even with some organizations making it necessary for employees to get back to the office as pandemic restrictions loosen, hybrid work is something that is here to stay. Conferencing solutions empower communication and collaboration and knock down the barrier of geography. Given this pressing need for businesses, many conferencing tools have popped up in the tech industry lately. So, for your better understanding of the options available, we have tested some of the leading video conferencing tools.
In this post, we have broken down the five best web conferencing tools for 2022 to help you decide which one will fit best into your company.
Top 5 Web Conferencing Software and Tools 2022
In the present climate, video conferencing has become a necessary tool for virtual meetings and conferences. And it is highly important to find the most suitable one. We have selected five web conferencing software and tools for 2022 to help you figure out which one will best suit your company.
Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing software that took the world by storm during the coronavirus outbreak, providing a safe social distancing method for collaborating with others. Founded in 2011, today, Zoom averages 300 million daily active users in meetings. It is one of the largest players in the video conferencing space, given its boatload of advanced features, affordable pricing, and impressive usability.
In addition, Zoom offers a great number of integration capabilities with third-party applications. The software is particularly designed for teaching online classes, conducting online conferences, training, and meetings, and hosting webinars. In addition to the company’s flagship product, Zoom Meetings, Zoom also offers Zoom Phone, Zoon Video Webinars, Zoom Chat, and Zoom Rooms.
- Instant screen sharing – Hosts can share their screens instantly using any device, which improves collaboration and teamwork among teams and coworkers.
- Online meetings recording – Online meetings can be recorded in different video formats like MP4 and M4A. Recordings can be stored locally or on the cloud.
- HD video and audio – Video conferencing with HD voice, 720p HD video, and H.264 video codec support with a maximum of 1 GB of video content sharing.
- Video Meeting – The tool supports up to 1000 participants and can show up to 49 videos on the screen.
- Drawing Tools – Whiteboards can be shared, and participants can annotate or co-annotate if they are permitted. They can also share multiple boards if they have dual monitors enabled.
- Breakout Rooms – This feature gives the host the option to split the participants into different groups, which works for group assignments or projects.
- Simple and intuitive UI
- Wide adoption and easy to use
- High participant threshold
- Rich features for hosts and attendees
- Generous free account
- Multiple paid plans for larger meetings to fit your requirements
- Issues around meeting security
- No toll-free dial-in numbers
- Video lag
- Free to use with a maximum of 100 participants for a limited duration (up to 40 minutes)
- Pro plan starts at $14.99/month/host and offers 1-9 licenses
- For small and medium-sized businesses, the Business plan costs $19.99/month/host while offering 10-99 licenses
- Enterprise plan for large enterprises starts at $19.99/month/host and offers 100+ licenses
Cisco Webex has been around for many years as one of the best web conferencing software and tools. It offers a smart, consistent, and simple video experience that integrates with applications and devices teams already use. This application is designed for team collaboration, allowing users to share screens and collaborate through voice or HD video calls. About 113 million professionals use it for team meetings, online training, webinars, conference calling, and remote support.
In particular, Webex is ideal for businesses having legitimate security concerns as it features Transport Layer Security (TLS), encryption, firewall compatibility, third-party accreditations, and secure scheduling options. As a result, it is the most preferred software for the majority of Fortune 500.
- Easy meeting creation – The software enables users to schedule, begin, and host online meetings easily. Attendees can join via computer, phone, or video system and take part in the meeting through the whiteboard, note-taking, and annotation tools as enabled by the host.
- Real-time translation – This feature will instantly translate the speech into captions. The tool supports 100+ languages, and up to five languages can be used simultaneously.
- Gesture recognition – Participants can react to the reactions with gesture controls on. They can gesture with thumbs up/down and clapping hands, which will be instantly recognized.
- Event Center – This Webex feature can set up and hold events with up to 3,000 participants. Interactive events can be held through chat, polling, screen sharing, and Q&A.
- Training Center – Another striking feature of Webex is Training Center which enables users to maximize their collaboration. It sets up the screen view based on the file type that is in use.
- Cisco integrations
- MS Outlook calendar integration
- Intuitive interface
- Breakout rooms
- Business-hours phone support for basic plans and 24/7 support for pricier plans
- Relatively expensive
- Difficult to access
- Only the host can record meetings
- Offers a free-trial period for up to 100 participants
- Starter plan costs $14.95/month/host with 5 GB of cloud storage
- Plus plan costs $19.95/month/host
- Business plan starts at $29.95/month/host and supports meetings with up to 200 participants
- Enterprise plans can be tailored. To get a rate, contact their sales team.
3. Microsoft Teams
Initially released in 2017, Microsoft Teams is a famous collaborative tool – a part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite. It is designed for smooth efficiency and collaboration, enabling teams to have real-time conversations, share files, and set up group chats. This application serves as a collaboration hub for teams, which is used to conduct conference calls, share files, and initiate or join a group chat. Teams is a cross-platform application that is available on Mac, Linux, and Windows. Moreover, the software integrates with many other Microsoft programs, including OneNote and SharePoint Online. It is highly recommended for MS Office 365 users looking for something extra special for their web conferences.
- Video meeting – Online video conferences can be hosted with up to 300 participants. Users of Office 365 E3 can also host online events with a maximum of 10,000 participants.
- Meetings recording – You can record meetings and store them in the cloud. Also, they are transcribed automatically.
- Raise virtual hands – A useful feature that eliminates all interruptions during a meeting. Participants who want to ask a question or contribute to the meeting can raise their virtual hands.
- Drawing tools – Whiteboards can be made available to all participants for writing or sketching.
- Powerful security – The tool has implemented security and privacy measures, including two-factor authentication, Advanced Threat Protection (ATP), HIPAA compliance, encryption in transit and at rest, and eDiscovery (generating information required for investigation).
- Complete MS 365 integration
- Works well with Skype and Skype Business
- Holds up to 10,000 participants
- Guest access to Teams
- Live captioning
- Customized backgrounds
- File storage and sharing
- Not all features are available in testing
- Available as part of MS Office 365 subscriptions
- Offers a 30-day trial of the paid versions, as well as the free version with some features
- MS Teams Essentials plan starts at $4/user/month
- MS 365 Business Basic plan starts at $6/user/month
- MS 365 Business Standard plan costs $12.50/user/month
4. Google Meet
Formerly called Google Hangouts, Google Meet is an enterprise-level video conferencing software for individuals and businesses. Its development is Google’s attempt to take on Zoom and other online collaboration services to enable users to do video conferences from any device and location within a secure environment. They can start and engage in text, voice, or video chat channels.
Google Meet is an integrated part of Google’s G Suite software and is highly recommended for small start-ups and agencies due to it being free to use. The tool is versatile enough to suit the needs of various industries, such as life sciences, healthcare, and education.
- Video call live streaming – A feature that is only available to G Suite Enterprise users. You can stream a live event in your domain to up to 100,000 viewers.
- Accessibility features – Live captions are shown during a speech to make meetings accessible to the blind and hearing impaired. Screen magnifiers and readers address the needs of low-vision participants to see the screen better.
- Noise cancellation – This is another feature only available to G Suite Enterprise users, which filters the background noise if it is not speech.
- AI enhancements – The tool is designed to adapt to the speed of your network by turning off the video feed for the time being. So, it keeps you on the call while preserving the overall quality.
- Security – It has anti-abuse and anti-hijacking features, such as meeting requests, codes, and attendee removal options to keep meetings safe. Also, the service adheres to the Internet Engineering Task Force’s (IETF) security standards for Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) and Secure Real-time Transport (SRTP).
- Google Workspace integration
- Free video meetings and calls without downloading
- Virtual whiteboards for collaboration
- Waiting rooms
- Polling at meetings
- Ability to join from desktop, mobile, or tablet
- Screen Sharing capabilities
- Business features need a Google Workspace membership
- Limited integrations and bots
- Lack of built-in transcription feature
- Google Meet has a free plan for personal Google accounts with up to 100 participants.
- Business Starter plan starts at $6/user/month for up to 100 participants
- Business Standard plan is available for $12/user/month with meetings for a maximum of 150 people
- Business Plus costs $18/user/month with meetings for up to 500 people
- Enterprise plans are priced on a custom basis. Contact sales for pricing.
GoToMeeting is one of the oldest, fastest, most reliable, and most famous web conferencing tools provided by GoTo company, formerly called LogMeIn. Similar to other available software, GoToMeeting provides audio and video conferencing and screen sharing. This solution enables face-to-face meetings, cloud collaborations, and real-time presentations. It is fully equipped with features that are useful before, during, and after meetings to enhance productivity. The software is best suited for use cases like contact centers, webinars, and remote IT management, particularly when paired with GoTo’s other applications for those markets.
- Secure meeting – In addition to TLS encryption, AES 256-bit encryption, and SOC2 Type II, GoToMeeting is BSI C5-certified and TRUSTe-verified. It is also CCPA- and GDPR-compliant.
- One-Click Meeting – Scheduled meetings can be integrated into your calendar and shared with participants.
- Smart Meeting Assistant – This feature enables users to automatically get a searchable transcript of what is said in the meeting. Transcripts are provided side-by-side with presentation slides and can be shared in PDF format.
- Diagnostic reports – These reports are available after the meeting for detailed analysis. They include participant join and leave times, packet loss, network latency, and more.
- Commuter mode – Users can join meetings without distracting noises on the road. This mode adds color-coded audio or mute buttons to the screen.
- Highly-secured meetings
- Voice commands with Siri
- Unlimited cloud recording
- Personal meeting rooms
- Screen sharing from desktops or mobile devices
- No whiteboard functionality
- Unsuitable for small companies due to price
- Limited privileges for users other than admin
- There is a 14-day free trial plan available
- Professional plan offers the most basic video conferencing features for $14 per month
- Business plan starts at $19/month and allows up to 150 participants
- Enterprise plans can be availed at a custom rate. The sales team can offer bundle savings
Web conferencing has certainly become a serious need for businesses, from overseeing their virtual teams to dealing with clients on the other side of the world. This means that you should provide your partners and employees with excellent video conferencing solutions and a modern-day business atmosphere. So, the next time you need to hold a meeting with clients in different cities, try one of the above-mentioned software instead of just relying on emails or phone calls. This way, you’ll get more done in less time and feel like all participants are communicating in the same room, even if they are elsewhere in the world.